Monday 12 May 2008

Dead In Seconds 2: Now You Tell Me

One thing I forgot in my recent posting about the unfairness of PC first/third person shooting games are the ones in which you get right to the end and you find that somewhere around three-quarters of the way through you should have picked up something you need at the end. I have just reached the closing scene of 'Gun'. This was quite a controversial game (rated 18) when released in 2005 as it features a cowboy who shoots lots of native Americans and then it turns out that he is in fact one himself. Anyway, it has a decent story as you uncover the plots of a former Confederate general Magruder who killed your step-father and your biological family before that. He is hunting for a gold mine whose secret is hidden in a cross from the time of the Spanish conquerors. It also has side missions so you can go off and be the pony express or a bounty hunter or simply work on a ranch hurding cattle. I have battled through camps, towns and mines to reach the final stage. I have got a decent pair of revolvers and a powerful rifle and then in the final cave facing Magruder I find that he is immune to all of these weapons and despite pouring scores of bullets into him I inflict no damage whereas he has a very fast loading volley gun which kills me with one firing. I have tried repeatedly to inflict some damage on him without any effect so I had to check a walkthrough and I find that actually back before I even came upon his headquarters rather than keeping the revolvers and rifle I should have discarded these for a bow which can fire arrows tipped with dynamite. This means I have to go back and play the last quarter of the game again simply so that this time I can pick up the right weapon. This needs no skill or intelligence, it needs some power of being able to see into the future and it has spoilt what was otherwise a very good game. Also how can a man be immune to bullets? I know they want the final 'boss' to be tough but why make him invincible, especially in a game which has quite accurate reflections of human frailties.

No comments: