Thursday 11 August 2016

Biscuit Blog: Tower Gate Oaties

Tower Gate Oaties

Seeing that I am reviewing another biscuit from Lidl, I guess it is time to head across town to the one branch of Aldi I know there and buy some of theirs to see how they compare with their rival discount supermarket.  With oatie biscuits (I guess 'oaty' would sound too much like porridge) the comparator is always the McVitie's Hob Nob biscuit (particularly loved by Germans).  These from Lidl lack the sweetness of the Hob Nob, they are plainer.  The texture is mixed.  There are the oat chunks that you would expect but the biscuit around them lacks substance and certainly the greater chewiness of the Hob Nob.  The packet is much smaller than many from Tower Gate, notably their ginger nuts.  This is not a bad biscuit and in fact would work better as a biscuit-for-cheese rather than as a sweet biscuit.

Rating:
*****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whilst I like most things about Tower Gate Oaties. I am disappointed in the lack of depth to the flavour. This can be easily remedied by adding a bit more salt to the mixture. At the moment, for me, the only way to overcome this is to spread some salted butter (decadent and unhealthy, but awfully nice, or to sprinkle a little salt on the biscuit) ask Mary Berry, she'll tell you.